Like any other technology, lithium ion or li-ion cells and batteries have their advantages.
While there are many different types of lithium ion cell, it is possible to describe some of the generic advantages and disadvantages.
It is then possible to look at the different variants to see their own advantages and disadvantages.
Obviously the choice of whether to sue a lithium ion battery or cell is dependent upon analysing and weighing up the different advantages and disadvantages to see whether they give a real benefit. A decision can then be made about the correct type or format to use.
Lithium ion battery advantagesThere are many advantages to using a li-ion cell of battery. These li-ion battery advantages include:
- High energy density: The much greater energy density is one of the chief advantages of a lithium ion battery or cell. With electronic equipment such as mobile phones needing to operate longer between charges while still consuming more power, there is always a need to batteries with a much higher energy density. In addition to this, there are many power applications from power tools to electric vehicles. The much higher power density offered by lithium ion batteries is a distinct advantage.
- Self-discharge: One issue with batteries and ells is that they lose their charge over time. This self-discharge can be a major issue. One advantage of lithium ion cells is that their rate of self-discharge is much lower than that of other rechargeable cells such as Ni-Cad and NiMH forms.
- No requirement for priming: Some rechargeable cells need to be primed when they receive their first charge. There is no requirement for this with lithium ion cells and batteries.
- Low maintenance: One major lithium ion battery advantage is that they do not require and maintenance to ensure their performance. Ni-Cad cells required a periodic discharge to ensure that they did not exhibit the memory effect. As this does not affect lithium ion cells, this process or other similar maintenance procedures are not required.
- Variety of types available: There are several types of lithium ion cell available. This advantage of lithium ion batteries can mean that the right technology can be used for the particular application needed. Some forms of lithium ion battery provide a high current density and are ideal for consumer mobile electronic equipment. Others are able to provide much higher current levels and are ideal for power tools and electric vehicles.